OK, let’s talk about men’s skincare.
Because why do we think that women should have glowing, healthy skin and men should be crusty and dusty? We don’t! ALL SKIN needs an AM and PM routine for cleansing, toning, treating, and moisturizing, and sunscreen every 2-3 hours.
In fact, men should have a detailed skincare regimen especially if they shave regularly or wear facial hair. Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered on everything a man needs for his best skincare.
Skincare tips for men who shave
Frequent hair removal of any kind can lead to bumps and ingrowns if you aren’t taking proper precautions before and after. Specifically:
- Clean your razors and clippers after each use, or use disposable razors. I know you think it’s OK to not cleanse your razor or clippers thoroughly because it’s your face, but please don’t skip this step.
- Cleanse and moisturize twice a day. Shaving can leave your pores open for dirt and toxins so it’s absolutely important to wash your face day and night, and apply moisturizer after each cleanse. This protects the skin’s barrier from irritation and inflammation, which can leave scarring and blemishes.
Skincare tips for men with facial hair
If you wear a beard or mustache you’re going to need to spend a little more time cleansing. Your beard should have a cleansing routine just like your skin. Here are some tips:
- Cleanse your beard for 60 seconds using your face cleanser in a circular motion. You want to make sure your beard is clear of debris, and the skin underneath is clean.
- Your face cleansers and moisturizers are good for your beard and mustache, too. If you use separate products for your beard like beard oil, make sure the oil isn’t so heavy that it clogs your pores and causes breakouts. I know the fellas love a shiny beard but we’re about skincare first around here! Look for products that have sunflower oil, almond oil, lavender, or papaya. Avoid using heavy ingredients like Jamaican castor oil, coconut oil and coconut butter on your face.
- Wash your pillowcases often! Remember, your pillowcases collect all the products you use in your hair, on your face, and on your beard. All of this mixed with dirt can clog your pores and leave you with pimples in the morning.
Let’s keep it clear and cocky, gentlemen!