What are the steps involved in your daily skincare routine?
Having clear, radiant skin starts with restoring the skin’s protective barrier. With so many products out there claiming to do that, it can be challenging to decide what steps your skin needs to look your best. And every person’s skin can respond differently to certain skincare tactics so what works for someone else may not work for you, which can also be frustrating.
Let’s take the guesswork out of general skin care. Here are the basic steps in every skincare routine and why your skin appreciates each one.
- Cleanse. Clear skin starts with clean skin. There are skin irritants all around us in the environment, our food, even our hair. Irritants cause clogged pores, which leads to breakouts. A deep cleanse every morning and night is essential for every skincare routine.
- Tone. Using a skin toner after you wash your face every time gives the skin that dewy glow that we all want. Toners tighten the pores which makes the skin appear smooth and prevents dirt and irritants from entering the pores. Toning the skin also removes anything cleansing may have left behind and helps your skin to retain moisture.
- Treat. This step will vary depending on your skin type. If you have acne or are experiencing a breakout, you’ll need a product that supports healing blemishes and reduces scarring and hyperpigmentation. Serums and blemish creams are good here. Remember a little goes a long way with this step, and you want to use products that don’t have harsh ingredients (like ours!).
- Moisturizer. Your skin’s protective barrier needs to stay hydrated to reveal glowing, healthy skin. It’s important to know your skin type for this step; if you have oily skin or dry skin you don’t want to use a product that’s too heavy and clogs the pores, and if you have dry skin, you want a product that keeps your skin moisturized all day.
- Sunscreen. If you take away nothing else from this article, GET SOME SUNSCREEN! Every skin type and complexion needs protection from sun rays to prevent wrinkles, sunspots, and skin cancer. It’s a MUST. Don’t just wear it, reapply!
Your daily skincare routine should focus on purposefully layering on products that cleanse, tone, heal, and protect your skin. It’s not a chore, it’s giving yourself the best treatment so you feel (and look) your best.
And seriously, wear that sunscreen!
Leave a comment